1. Freshwater mussels filter out the water of all impurities and are an important food source for many fish, birds, and mammals!
2. There are over 300 species of freshwater mussels!
3. Mussels eat by removing oxygen from the water and sucking in the microorganisms!
4. Some mussel species can grow up to 9 inches long and live for over 100 years!
5. Nearly 70% of the 300 species of freshwater mussels are threatened or endangered because of people dredging their habitats!!!
6. 40% of america's rivers and 46% of lakes are too polluted to sustain aquatic life!
7. 1.2 trillion gallons of untreated sewage, storm water, and industry waste are dumped into us waters each year!!
8. Polluted drinking waters are a problem for about half of the world’s population.
roughly 5 to 10 million People die each year because of polluted drinking waters!!!
for more info & facts... Visit the websites below...
©2014 by West Deptford Wheelabrator - Created and Updated by Nic Uff